Monday, May 11, 2015

Banana Split?

As I mentioned in my last post, we took an over night bus from Slovenia to Split, Croatia and that itself was an adventure. We got on the bus around 9 pm and we were all so tired that we quickly fell asleep. Around 12 we were woken up with yelling and a police officer telling us to get our passports and get off the bus (this was not in English so it was just a bunch of yelling). Once we get off the bus we realize that we are at the border and we had to give our passports to get checked and then walk across the border. Our bus was checked and then it drove across the border to pick us up. It was all very weird. Someone told us that Croatia is tight with security. Once we got back on the bus we fell asleep again only to be awoken with more shouting again, but this time we had to switch buses. The second bus was totally packed and they had the heat on which just made it a miserable night. We got there safe and sound at 5 am and once the sun came up we were able to walk along the boardwalk.

That day we pretty much took naps on the beautiful sandy beaches and soaked up the Croatian sun.


The next day we took a trip to Krka falls. Unfortunately the water level was too high that day so we couldn't get in and swim, but we were able to hike all around the falls. It turns out the falls are huge and there are a bunch of hidden parts that you can't see from the bottom.


Our group :) Lauren, Molly, Keith, Cody, Myself, Kirlos, Jalhdi, and Puja


Sunday we explored the city and the old palace. The entire center part of the city is within the ruins of the palace which was very unique. It actually reminded me a lot of Florence in the inside streets since no cars could get in and all the buildings were close together. They had a ton of shopping, food, and musicians in the inside playing. Some of us did a self-guided tour around the castle and learned the history of it.


 Views from the top of the clock tower

Puja and I with our gelato
We all went out for a nice dinner on Sunday night and I was really craving a banana split. What's more perfect than a banana split in Split right? The place we went to dinner didn't have them so I decided to ask a couple of the ice cream places on the boardwalk and no one had them! Eventually I asked this guy selling fried donuts in a stand if he knew where I could get a banana split and he said "Banana split? I don't know anyone who sells a banana split here." I told him that he should start selling banana splits then and call it Banana Splits in Split because tourists would love it. His eyes widened a little bit and he kind of started nodding his head and got a far away look in his eye so I told him to remember me and give me some of the profit when I get back. So next time anyone goes to Split and sees a banana split store you can think of me. Maybe next time I return to Croatia I'll open up my own store if he doesn't! 
Instead I decided to get ice cream that night and ate a banana in Split the next morning so put it altogether and I got a banana split!

A banana in Split
Sadly Monday was our last day and we had the morning to enjoy the beach one last time. It was an awesome trip and a beautiful city. I'm so happy that I got to go even if there were no banana splits :)


No comments:

Post a Comment