Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Going Back In Time

Long time no post! Between travelling, school work, and a slow computer there just has not been enough time! After Berlin I had a weekend in Munich, then after Munich I had a two days in Prague (9 hours of class in those two days) and headed off for a week in Slovenia and Croatia. I'm leaving for Salzburg tomorrow so I am hoping to get some posts in! All my trips have been amazing.





Going back to Munich... Cody and I took a trip to Munich to Czech out Springfest for the weekend. Springfest is the same thing as Oktoberfest, but on a much much smaller level and basically seems like it was made for Americans in the spring. It's a big carnival with beer and rides and jacked up prices (what could be a better combination??). Oktoberfest has about 14 beer hall tents and a few million people come to it, where as Springfest only has 2 beer tents and only a few thousand people come. We pretty much hung out at Springfest and enjoyed our beers and the rides and soaked up the German culture. They serve beers by the liter and it is quite the arm workout to drink (maybe that's the point?), but it was really good beer especially compared to Czech Pilsner. Most people were wearing the classic German lederhosen and drindle outfits and I was hoping to get one myself. Turns out that girls drindles are 150 euros ($165)!! So I tried it on and got to snap a quick picture for the sake of my German roots and it worked just as well because I found another German-esque dress for much cheaper.



 

We went to eat at the famous Hofbrauhaus which was delicious. The beer hall was filled with live music, people, and good cheer.


In addition to Springfest we took a walking tour of the city for 3 hours and our walking tour guide was excellent so I got to see and learn a great deal about the city.
 

 
Michael Jackson Memorial and Smooth Criminal

Munich held the 1972 Olympics so we headed over to the Olympic park and got to see the swimming
pool and track (right up my alley!) and climbed Olympic hill. It was awesome to think that we were walking in the same place where Olympians walked.

 Olympic swimming pool!

 
Handing off the baton Olympic style

 Little Bo Peep found her sheep at Olympic Park

Overall I had a great time in Munich, although I wouldn't say its my favorite city. Heading to Salzburg tomorrow and then I'll have to catch up on more posts after!

No comments:

Post a Comment